Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Yves Mourousi / Paul Hardcastle - Dix Neuf (Single 1985)

In 1985 I returned to France after 5 years to visit friends I had made there while ostensibly going to school. At the time, Paul Hardcastle's 19 was a massive hit in the States, and we all loved it. Everyone was going around stuttering N-N-N-N-Nineteen like retarded Max Headroom clones. I was not immune. When I got to Paris with some friends, we were quite surprised to hear it was a massive hit there as well. Except they were stuttering D-D-D-D-Dix Neuf. We fell out laughing every time we heard it, so naturally I bought the single. I don't think we thought about the larger ramifications of a French version of a Viet Nam war song. I mean, yeah they had their tussle in Indochine so it made more sense than, say, a German version. But couldn't they have their own song?
Whatever, who cares. It still makes me laugh. Sorta.

I think the song is the basic Paul Hardcastle track with French tacked on top. The awkward chorus remains in English ("Destruction of men in their prime / whose average age was nineteen" I mean, c'mon...)
For refresher's sake, I've also included the American original.
Get it HERE.

4 comments:

Dance said...

Paul Hardcastle track with French tackled to the top. "Destruction" is the cool hard castle kinda music.

izoard said...

well. it made us laught too in france you know... mourousi was the most famous anchorman on channel 1... pure nonsense !

Peter said...

Wow! I did not know that!
--P

Esmenard Victor said...

Well I've never heard this record (as far as i remember) and I've never heard that Mourousi made a single.

Although he was one the most famous people in France at the time.