Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Flaming Lips - Boom-Box Experiment No.19 (1998)

Here's one I've just acquired after years of searching. I saw it on several "trade lists" online, but none of the buggers ever got back to me. Finally found it from a dude in Brazil (thanks, Luis!). Traded a Melvins DVD I shot for it, and well worth the price.

The Boom-Box Experiments, for those of you that don't know, were 40 volunteers from the audience armed with pawn shop boom-boxes and a bag of tapes. These tapes had various music pieces and sound effects on them and the boom-boxes were wired through to the PA. It was an ungodly racket, made all the more so by people fucking up their cues and the tapes never quite synching. Head Lips Wayne Coyne and Steven Drozd "conducted" the participants which were separated into halves, facing each other. Michael manned the mixer.

The main reason I was searching so diligently for this particular show was that on this particular night, September 27, 1998 at Wetlands in NYC, yours truly was a member of the "orchestra". In fact, Steven parked me in a chair at the edge of the stage and shoved about two six-packs of beer and cigarettes under the seat. Not only was I to participate, but apparently was to be his personal valet for the night. Not that I minded since I would be helping myself to the beer as well, haha.
But the best part is that I get admonished by Wayne three (three!) times.
The first time I was fumbling with a tape and he looks over at Steven and asks, "Is Pete kinda drunk?" I was, as he well knew. The second he kinda stutters a "P-Pete..." and looks over at Steven again and asks, "Is he opening that for you?" I guess he got a blank look cos then he says, "I told my side No Drinking... well, maybe it'll help".
The third time he just tells a rather blotto me, in support, "Two more Pete! Hang in there".

It was of course all in good fun. Even if I was famous for drinking copious amounts of their alcohol.
The recording is a real nice soundboard tape. Lotsa loopy stereo effects, and even though you can in no way capture the sonic mayhem that was unleashed it is a fair representation.
A high quality 320 kbps rip. Mind though, that when the music starts there is a lotta hiss: 40 cheap pawn shop boom-boxes will do that.
The "Intro" track is Wayne explaining the proceedings. The Test 1 and Test 2 tracks are just that: tests to make sure everything's hooked-up and operating properly. Things get going for reals on Track 4. And Speed Of Life is my favorite with 40 babies that had to be experienced to be believed.

Get it HERE.

Tracks:
01. Intro
02. Test 1
03. Test 2
04. The Big Ol' Bug Is the New Baby Now
05. Car Accident
06. Speed Of Life
07. Heralding In a Better Ego
08. Sunrise
09. Altruism

2 comments:

brekinapez said...

Missed that show. Miss the Wetlands. Miss NYC.

Georgia sucks.

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot!