Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Television Personalities - "Fashion Conscious" (2002 Little Teddy)


Here's another TVPs disc for ya. This is a favorite of what's probably my favorite-era TVPs. I assiduously collected these singles as they came out, and was happy to have them all in one place upon this release.
I normally don't like to just copy-and-paste reviews from the web, but this one by Tim Sendra from Allmusic.com is just about perfect (plus I'm just lazy today), so I will make an exception:

The Television Personalities have been making music for a long time, and they sound remarkably like they did when they started in the late-'70s. The constants in the history of the group are Dan Treacy's quirky sense of melody and humor, his voice, which has only a passing acquaintance with pitch but a great deal of charm, and a lo-fi mod punk sound. This 20-song compilation covers 1993 to 1997, the years the TVPs released records on Germany's Little Teddy label. The first thing one notices about the record is the amazing sound. All the tracks were produced by Liam Watson at his legendary Toe Rag studio in London and have a grandeur and immediacy that don't reflect the small recording budget. Standout songs include a cover of Lee Hazlewood's "I've Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me"; a girl group-style cover of Daniel Johnston's heartbreaking "Honey I Sure Miss You"; the chiming "I Remember Bridget Riley"; the lovelorn and yearning "I Wish You Could Love Me for What I Am"; and the swampy "In a Luxury Dockland Home," which overflows with emotion and low-rent drama. This disc is a very worthy addition to a Television Personalities collection. The music they were making during this time is as good as any they ever made; it is hilarious, heartbreaking, and makes you want to dance. What more do you want from a record anyway?

My fave not mentioned is "Now That I'm A Junkie!" And who Doesn't love "Seasons in the Sun"?, here in a nice bass-heavy, dubby version.
A nice fat 320 rip of excellence for ya right HERE.

Tracks:
01. I'm Not Like Everybody Else
02. I Hear A New World
03. I've Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me
04. Whatever Gets You Thru The Night
05. Honey I Sure Miss You
06. Time Goes Slowly When You're Drowning
07. In A Luxury Dockland Home
08. I Was A Mod Before You Was A Mod
09. Jennifer, Julie And Josephine
10. You, Me And Lou Reed
11. My Imaginary Friend
12. I Remember Bridget Riley
13. I Wish You Could Love Me For What I Am
14. Now That I'm A Junkie!
15. How Does It Feel To Be Loved?
16. Seasons In The Sun
17. Bike
18. Noone's Little Girl
19. When I Grow Up I Want To Be...
20. The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Dreaming

6 comments:

Robert price said...

Cool stuff-I can never get tired of their 1st- Big influence

sexy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read this article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

JasminC said...

thanks!

Anonymous said...

me too, thanks!

David Lawrence said...

many thanks for this!

-David