Monday, March 2, 2009

The Flaming Lips - "The Day Andy Gibb Died" (1996)


This is a very rare bootleg CD, in an edition of 500. I procured my copy years ago when I was shooting and trading live videos from someone who obviously had a close connection.
It contains an entire live set as one track (I put the individual song titles in the iTunes comment section), then some rarities. Some of these have come out over the years: the Led Zep/Sonic Youth thing came out on the 3-disc Finally, The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid comp, and the Sonics/Elvis Costello one was a Sub Pop single (and I think was on the same comp). But others, like the T. Rex and the (superb) Bowie cover and the medley are to the best of my knowledge still unreleased (and I admit I'm too lazy to do a thorough web check, so there).

The live set that opens the disc is prime era noisy Lips, as is all this stuff. My favorite Lips era for sure, though I have nothing against their later stuff. Just don't prefer it is all.

The disc itself is unlabeled and has all identifying numbers erased with what appears to have been a soldering iron.
I have retained the idiosyncratic song titling just as it appears on the back cover (photo included in file).
Oh, and the cover art is by Mr. Wayne Coyne himself.
Mediafire is HERE.
Sharebee is HERE.
As you like.

Tracks:
01. Live 12-9-90 Norman, OK
02. Strychnine (The Sonics)/What's So Funny 'bout Peace, ♥, + Understanding? (N. Lowe)
03. Thank You (yes, by Led Zep) / Death Valley 69 (the Sonic Youth song)
04. Ballrooms Of Mars (T. Rex)
05. Jesus Is Floatin' (Jesus Song No. 8)
06. Cold Day In Hell
07. Medley: I Started A Joke (Bee Gees) - Happy Hour - Dark Globe (Syd Barrett) - Brain Damage (Pink Floyd) - She's Gone Mad Again (T. Meade)
08. Life On Mars? (Bowie)
09. ------->∞

6 comments:

rickdog said...

Find more Flaming Lips in my mp3blog and forum searches:
HERE
and
HERE

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! I believe the Bowie cover came out on an import cd single (Brainville?). The T. Rex cover was on a Warner's promo color-vinyl 7" that I listened to at KCSB when I had a show there and never saw again (the temptation to swipe was nearly over-powering!). I feel it is the best Bolan cover ever. I've been hoping I'd run into that 7" at a record store to no avail and your post has spared me considerable agony during my search. Bless you and cheers!

Anonymous said...

The Flaming Lips - Beautiful Accidents (live and rare 1987-1997)
Volume 1: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9A2WYKZ3
Volume 2: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VW046WBK
Volume 3: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ILWAVBKW

Salvatoré Galvinian said...

What's So Funny About Peace, Love, and Understanding is an Elvis Costello song.

Peter said...

No, Salvatoré, It's a Nick Lowe song. Elvis Costello covered it.
--Peter

Anonymous said...

They played a show around this time doing only covers and instead of The Flaming Lips, they called themselves The Chrome Leaches.