Monday, March 2, 2009
The Flaming Lips - "The Day Andy Gibb Died" (1996)
This is a very rare bootleg CD, in an edition of 500. I procured my copy years ago when I was shooting and trading live videos from someone who obviously had a close connection.
It contains an entire live set as one track (I put the individual song titles in the iTunes comment section), then some rarities. Some of these have come out over the years: the Led Zep/Sonic Youth thing came out on the 3-disc Finally, The Punk Rockers Are Taking Acid comp, and the Sonics/Elvis Costello one was a Sub Pop single (and I think was on the same comp). But others, like the T. Rex and the (superb) Bowie cover and the medley are to the best of my knowledge still unreleased (and I admit I'm too lazy to do a thorough web check, so there).
The live set that opens the disc is prime era noisy Lips, as is all this stuff. My favorite Lips era for sure, though I have nothing against their later stuff. Just don't prefer it is all.
The disc itself is unlabeled and has all identifying numbers erased with what appears to have been a soldering iron.
I have retained the idiosyncratic song titling just as it appears on the back cover (photo included in file).
Oh, and the cover art is by Mr. Wayne Coyne himself.
Mediafire is HERE.
Sharebee is HERE.
As you like.
01. Live 12-9-90 Norman, OK
02. Strychnine (The Sonics)/What's So Funny 'bout Peace, ♥, + Understanding? (N. Lowe)
03. Thank You (yes, by Led Zep) / Death Valley 69 (the Sonic Youth song)
04. Ballrooms Of Mars (T. Rex)
05. Jesus Is Floatin' (Jesus Song No. 8)
06. Cold Day In Hell
07. Medley: I Started A Joke (Bee Gees) - Happy Hour - Dark Globe (Syd Barrett) - Brain Damage (Pink Floyd) - She's Gone Mad Again (T. Meade)
08. Life On Mars? (Bowie)