Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sonic Youth - Forced Exposure FE-001 7" (1985)


Here's a couple live tracks, recorded at The Loft in Berlin in 1983. This was Forced Exposure zine's first 7" single and as I recall it was not included in the zine itself but you had to send money away to get it. So this was the only one I got as I was way into SY in '85, playing Bad Moon Rising constantly, much to the irritation and confusion of my friends who didn't quite get it. At least until "Death Valley '69" came on, then I'd get "Oh yeah, this rocks". Whatever. Sonic Youth were never much about rocking, at least for me (in fact I've always thought they really never had a clue as to HOW to rock, in the commonly accepted, grooving sense viz. their cover of "Beat on the Brat" on the Master-Dik 12").
That all said, this version of "Making the Nature Scene" positively smokes. Kim's songs were/are always my favorites (in diametric opposition to the songs Lee sings. Sorry, Lee).
Also included in the file are the back cover with a funny misanthropic screed by FE's Jimmy Johnson, as well as shots of the labels. For you completists. Oh, and the front cover (by Raymond Pettibon, duh) came partially colored-in like like you see in the photo. I always wondered if other people's covers were colored in more and they just got tired of doing it by the time they got to mine?
Get it HERE

Tracks:
01. Making the Nature Scene
02. Kill Yr Idols

8 comments:

Brown Recluse, Esq. said...

Thanks for posting this! I have to say, though, that you might be the only person in the world who likes Kim Gordon's songs the best. I MUCH prefer Lee's songs, as do most people I know.

ido said...

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this. SONIC-YOUTH have always been one of my very favorite bands. Love BAD MOON, too.

Graham said...

My copy is in a storage unit with all my vinyl, so I'll be intrigued to hear this again. Thanks for posting it.

I agree with your assessment that Sonic Youth don't rock, at least not at this point in their career, although my thesaurus offers "lurch" and "teeter" as synonyms of "rock", and they both lurch and teeter on these tracks, so I dunno.

FYI from memory my copy has about the same amount of coloring in as yours.

Mona said...

Yes still got this single, but mine is still in storage too...also there is a couple of tapes I made of SY live in Amsterdam 84/85 or so. When organised I will post them at my blog. You have a seriously good blog by the way and have added you to my list.
Regards/

molesteban said...

zanyone see the swastika? aciidddd drip

Anonymous said...

A bit late to comment maybe - but thanks. Nice to grab this on mp3. I bought the 45 in Sydney all those years ago and it was this version of 'Making the Nature Scene' that probably turned me into a long term SY fan much more so than anyhting else prior to.

My cover is all plain blue and white. No colouring in at all!
Cheers. Great blogging, man.

Peter said...

Never too late to leave a comment! Always appreciated.
I. too, love the Nature Scene version on this.

Looking forward to seeing SY for the first time since '95 next month. And they're playing where I work so I get to see 'em for free, woo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic