Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Original Sins - "Just 14" b/w "Sugar Sugar" (1986)


I used to see these guys open for lotsa bands at Trenton City Gardens, etc. I think they were from the Allentown/Bethlehem (Pennsylvania) area. Good basic garagey rock, nothing extraordinary. But this single is, just cos it's so wrong. The music's a straight-up unabashed Lust for Life rip-off, but the lyrics...I don't think you could get away with it so easily today. Not without ending up on some scary database. So I won't quote them. But download and enjoy. Cos it is a great single, even the Archies' cover flip-side. Which kinda sorta fits in with the theme.
Incidentally, for years I only had this on a cassette that a friend made me that had gone all wobbly from being in the car. So not too long ago I set out on an internet search to find a copy, and when I finally did I had to send away to Italy for it! For 3 Euros! And the guy gave me an even exchange rate which was very nice.

REUPPED 2/20/11 on Mediafire, HERE.

Tracks:
01. Just 14
02. Sugar Sugar

7 comments:

d.ross said...

Great single. They included it the CD of the nearly as great first album, Big Soul. Band stills plays on occasion, even saw them in SF a few years back.
Thanks for the good work

L said...

Too bad - The posting came down. Looks like fun.

Peter said...

I'll haveta re-post that when Ib get a sec...

Anonymous said...

please post this again

Holly said...

Awesome single, & if memory serves I'm pretty sure the version of sugar sugar on the 7" is NOT the same as on Big Soul. A reup w/b most appreciated if you ever have the time!

Thanks for a great blog :-)

Holly said...

Oh, thank you VERY much!

Big virtual hug heading your way...

L said...

Thanks for reposting, and thanks to Holly for leaving comment that let me know it was active again. Great stuff.