Friday, August 8, 2008
V/A - "Jukebox - Music In The Films Of Aki Kaurismäki" (2006)
Anyone who has seen any of Aki Kaurismäki's wonderful films knows one of their best aspects is the varied, eclectic soundtrack. My previous Aki Soundtrack post, "Leningrad Cowboys Go America" featured only music by that band. But his many films are filled with music from all over: obscure Sixties rock, blues, Suomi Pop and, of course, Finnish Tango ("The Blues of Finland") and its primary practitioner, the great Olavi Virta (Aki has described him as "The Frank Sinatra of Finland").
For years I have tried to hunt down soundtracks, particularly for "Ariel", but none were available. Neither in Finland or on the internet. So I was elated to find out about this release a couple years ago. It's a Finland-only double CD, and I shelled out a pretty penny for it through an online shop in Helsinki.
Of course it doesn't have all the songs I would have included on it (that'd take a box set), and it only has a representative few from each of his many films. But it is a great overview of this man's wonderful taste and seemingly boundless knowledge of all musics cool and melancholy. There are no duds on this set.
My favorite on here is the second song on the first disc, Cadillac by The Renegades. In the film "The Match Factory Girl" the (anti)heroine walks up to a jukebox in her brother's flat, chooses this song then leans against the wall by a window, smoking and listening. To the whole song.
The Renegades were a British Invasion band, but one that invaded Finland, not America. They caused quite a stir there and decided to remain where they were loved. I think one or two of them still live there.
Also on here is the rarest Joe Strummer item, a track from "I Hired A Contract Killer" (which Warren Beatty blatantly ripped-off for his "Bulworth"). It was released as a 7" promo, only in Finland and in a minuscule pressing, and thus fetches $$$ when found not in bootleg form.
So get this while you can...I don't know how long it's going to be up. But I don't expect most people want to send-away to Finland for it, what with the horrible Dollar/Euro exchange rate. Not everyone's a fanatic!
You can, however, pick up the soundtrack to "The Man Without a Past" quite cheaply from Amazon third-party sellers. In fact, it's available from $5.99, and I of course highly recommend it (even though several tracks are on this comp).
Disc 1 HERE, Disc 2 HERE.
01. Serenade (Harri Marstio)
02. Cadillac (The Renegades)
03. Sä et Kyyneltä Nää (Olavi Virta)
04. Älä Kiiruhda (Harri Marstio)
05. Rich Little Bitch (Melrose)
06. Yyterin Twist (Timo Jämsen & Strangers)
07. Muuttuvat Laulut (Georg Ots)
08. Kunhan Palaan Takaisin (Topi Sorsakoski & Agents)
09. Thru' The Wire (Leningrad Cowboys)
10. Valot (Rauli Badding Somerjoki)
11. Sateenkaaren Tuollapuolen (Olavi Virta)
12. The Cossack Song (Leningrad Cowboys)
13. Ballad Of Leningrad Cowboys (Leningrad Cowboys)
14. Se Jokin Sinulla On (Badding Rockers)
15. Satumaa (Reijo Taipale)
16. Burning Lights (Joe Strummer)
17. Ennen Kuolemaa (Olavi Virta)
18. Mi Buenos Aires Querido (Carlos Gardel)
19. L'influence Du Bleu Dans L'art (Anssi Tikanmäki)
20. Yukino Furu Machio (Toshitake Shinohara)
21. De Velours Et De Sole (Serge Reggiani)
22. Those Were The Days (Leningrad Cowboys)
23. Old Scars (The Blazers)
24. Mustanmeren Valssi (Georg Ots)
01. Think It Over (Regals)
02. Nolo Tengo Dinares (Leningrad Cowboys)
03. Kili Watch (Leningrad Cowboys and André Wilms)
04. Delilah (Leningrad Cowboys and Sakari Kuosmanen)
05. Dark Eyes (Alexandrov Red Army Choir)
06. Pilvet Karkaa Niin Minäkin (Rauli Badding Somerjoki)
07. Kohtalon Tuulet (Markus Allan)
08. Myrskyn Keskellä (Badding Rockers)
09. Syyspihlajan Alla (Henry Theel)
10. Kuihtuu Kesäinen Maa (Rauli Badding Somerjoki)
11. Juha (Anssi Tikanmäki)
12. Lokki (Tapio Rautavaara)
13. Paha Vaanii (Marko Haavisto & Poutahaukat)
14. Bandoneon (Antero Jakoila)
15. My Heart Must Do The Crying (The Renegades)
16. Muistatko Monrepos'n (Annikki Tähti)
17. In The Meanwhile (Melrose)
18. Volver (Carlos Gardel)
19. Donna Non Vidi Mai (Manon Lescaut) (Jussi Björling)
20. Jäätynyt Sade (Geronimo)
21. Ogonek (Toshitake Shinohara)
22. Les Tempes Des Cerises (Fred Gouin)