Wednesday, July 30, 2008

La De Da's (EMI NZ comp 2003)


Here's a great Sixtie's garage comp by New Zealand's premier band of the time, the La De Da's. I'm posting this to bring a bit of my new home to you. Plus I don't think it's been up on Kiwi Tapes or even the great TwilightZone! blog (though I could be wrong).
I got this in Wellington from one of those bargain tables out front of a record store on Cuba St. When I asked to have a listen (as you can do at all shops here, imagine!) the clerk got all excited I was interested in this and suggested some others. He was obviously stoked to have a customer he could relate to. A foreigner interested in 60's Kiwi Rock! We chatted for awhile about the great Northwest and The Sonics, Wailers, etc.
As I had limited funds, I only got this (by far the best of what I heard) and one of the V/A comps he suggested. But as that was a "Volume 2" and they were out of the first one, I'll wait til I can locate Volume 1 and post them both, perhaps.

This disc starts off with their biggest hit, Little Girl, and features lotsa great R&B covers (Stupidity, their excellent take of I Put A Spell On You, etc. And check the organ on Respect!) as well as indulging in the penchant of seemingly all the bands at that time: the instant cover version (Land of 1,000 Dances, Whatcha Gonna Do About It, etc).
All in all, an excellent, necessary addition to any collection of 60's psych/punk/garage!
I can't imagine this is very easy to get elsewhere, and the only other thing I saw online was another out-of-print collection on Amazon third-party. So get this while you can...320kps
Right HERE, mate!

Tracks:
01. Little Girl
02. Ever Since That Night
03. How Is The Air Up There
04. The Pied Piper
05. Don't You Stand In My Way
06. I Take What I Want
07. Hey Girl
08. On Top Of The World
09. Little Red Book
10. Jump Back
11. Bright Lights Big City
12. I Put A Spell On You
13. Whatch Gonna Do About It
14. Land Of A Thousand Dances
15. Shake
16. Parchment Farm
17. I Got My Mojo Working
18. Ride Your Pony
19. Stupidity
20. Coming Home
21. I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore
22. Respect
23. Find Us A Way
24. All Purpose Low
25. Too Many Fish In The Sea
26. Rosalie
27. Thank You For The Flowers
28. Hey Baby

Cuba St., Wellington, NZSlow Boat (not where I got this CD) is a great shop w/ lotsa vinyl. I got a nice 12" by The Clean. And a Lee Perry/Mad Professor 2005 NZ/Aussie tour Tee(!) I asked the clerk about Dead C vinyl and he said that when they do have any, it's usually imported from the States! Oh well, so much for that dream...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"How Is The Air Up There?" .. what a magnificent noise!!