Friday, July 18, 2008

Butthole Surfers - "Double Live" (1988)


This was a numbered, limited edition release on the Butthole's Latino Bugger Veil label. Released on LP, cassette and expanded compact disc editions. This is from my CD. The CDs were released in an edition of 2,750...I don't know the numbers of the others. The show was recorded on DAT, and the packaging had a bootleg look to it, from the B/W cover and plain, typed song list on the back with recording info. And being, I believe the first LBV release, these things left it kind of ambiguous whether it was a legit release or not. The typically disturbing cover art left little doubt for me, though: no-one else, not even an ardent fan, could so nail the Buttholes' aesthetic. The glossy insert and the simple fact that it was available in all three formats left little doubt.
This is a recording of the band at their mid-80's peak when they were by far and without a doubt the best live band out there. We'd go see them at various venues whenever they came around and they never disappointed. Sometimes they could be...frightening.
This recording features two excellent covers: REM's The One I Love, a hit at the time and a song particularly well-suited to Gibby's inimitable singing style. When I first heard them do it, I thought they topped the original (I was never a big REM fan, anyway). The second is Paul's psychotic take of the Leather Nun's already creepy No Rule, long one of my favorite songs (There is also their cover of Grand Funk's, not Sabbath's Paranoid). Lots of their swirly psychedelic jams here, too (shows often went well past the 2-hour mark). Lotsa good old Buttholes mayhem.
I have heard from my friends back in the States that the "classic" line-up has been touring. I haven't heard any reports yet aside from my friends' emails that "they were fucking awesome and we missed you, man!"

Tracks:
Disc One:
01. Too Parter
02. Psychedelic Jam
03. Ricky
04. Rocky
05. Gary Floyd
06. Florida
07. John E. Smoke
08. Tornadoes
09. Pittsburg to Lebanon
10. The One I Love
11. Hey
12. Dum Dum
13. No Rule
14. U.S.S.A.
15. Comb

Disc Two:
01. Graveyard
02. Sweatloaf
03. Backass
04. Paranoid
05. Fast
06. I Saw An X-Ray of a Girl Passing Gas
07. Strawberry
08. Jimi
09. Lou Reed
10. Kuntz
11. 22 Going On 23
12. Creep in the Cellar
13. Suicide
14. Something

As with the Charlie Feathers post, this is tough to find today and commands big bucks on eBay, etc. Like that CD, I sold mine on Amazon for an obscene amount of kablingy. It never fails to surprise me what some people will pay for CDs...vinyl, I can see, but CeeDees?! Oh well, helped out for my trip so WTF!
Get the first disc HERE, second disc HERE. Enjoy!

3 comments:

dweller said...

cheers, I have the vinyl, but this cd has more tracks, one of my favourite butthole recordings - essential

badmanners said...

This was an authorized release - It was serviced to college radio (on LP), and most of it is available on their website.

Anonymous said...

what is the cover a picture of? is that kathleen? very distubing.